How secure do you think you are online, especially when you connect with free WiFi in malls and cafes? Binance Exchange, one of the leading exchanges dealing in bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, lost $40 billion dollars in a single hack.
If you are torrenting, you can be particularly at risk of threats like data exposure, legal issues, and cyberattacks. If you’ve never taken action to protect your privacy online, now is the time.
Anonymity has gained utmost importance in the modern world, especially as the internet becomes increasingly restricted and censored. To protect yourself from hackers and keep your activities private, utilize the secure solutions found in the internet privacy world.
Seedboxes and virtual private networks (VPNs) both offer practical solutions to privacy concerns while browsing online, but you don’t have to consult tarot cards to decide which is best for you. Let’s compare these security heavyweights head-on to help you make your decision.
What Is a VPN?
A virtual private network is often considered the most useful and powerful tool for those who value anonymity and privacy. VPNs route connections through a virtual tunnel to hide or mask the user’s real IP address and replace it with a remote IP address supplied by the provider.
VPNs are practical tools with useful features to guard your privacy and allow you to explore uncensored and unrestricted internet content. Top-of-the-line VPNs have various encryption methodologies and mechanisms such as L2TP, PPTP, SSTP, OpenVPN, and IKEv2.
They allow you to tailor your surfing experience, prioritizing security and performance by striking a balance between the two.
This feature set makes a VPN an obvious choice, especially when torrenting. When a user is connected to a VPN while torrenting, their real IP address cannot be traced back, making them completely anonymous. Plus, multiple features of VPNs keep the user safe and secure irrespective of connection drops.
What Is a Seedbox?
A seedbox is a cloud-based service that allows users to torrent any files they wish. They have a simple mechanism that downloads the selected file onto a seedbox server. Once the content has been downloaded on the seedbox database, all that is left is a simple transfer from seedbox to the user’s device.
Thus, a seedbox basically works as a server through which the user can explore, run, and download multiple applications and services. Users can also run OpenVPN through customized settings of seedbox panels. A seedbox is effective in safeguarding your privacy while torrenting.
The user goes through the service’s IP address, which is routed via multiple layers of security. Hence, a seedbox protects the user’s confidential data and identity, and anyone monitoring will see only the seedbox’s IP address.
What Are the Differences Between a Seedbox and a VPN?
Differences between seedboxes and VPNs extend far beyond their privacy features. They differ in security, performance, and overall user experience. Let’s break it down:
- Mainly used for torrenting.
- Faster torrenting speed.
- Doesn’t unblock restricted content.
- Privacy for torrenting only.
- Doesn’t encrypt traffic.
- Doesn’t unblock streaming services.
- Larger storage space on the server.
- For all types of online activities.
- Fast torrenting speed.
- Privacy for all browsing activities.
- Encrypts all traffic.
- Unblocks restricted content.
- Unblocks streaming services.
- File storage on your own device.
Is a Seedbox as Safe as a VPN?
When used for torrenting, a seedbox is as safe and private as a VPN. They are equally secure for torrenting. However, a seedbox is not as secure as a VPN generally because it does not encrypt the user’s connection.
Additionally, there is a lack of DNS leak protection and kill-switch mechanisms, and the user does not have the option to pick the servers they want to connect with.
Can You Use a Seedbox as a VPN?
A seedbox is an extremely useful asset, especially if the user frequently torrents files. But a seedbox does not match the various features that a VPN offers.
Hence, it is recommended not to use a seedbox as a substitute for a VPN. This is because a seedbox cannot encrypt all of your shared data, unblock geo-restricted content, or route your connection to a remote server.
Therefore, you cannot use a seedbox the same way as you would a VPN.
Do You Need a VPN if You Have a Seedbox?
The answer to this question varies from person to person, and it depends on the budget of the user.
For most users, combining a VPN with a seedbox might seem like overkill. However, based on personal preference for comprehensive online privacy and anonymity with maximum torrent speeds, using a VPN with a seedbox is the way to go.
Is It Safe to Use a Seedbox Without a VPN?
As discussed earlier, using a VPN with a seedbox ensures the safest and best torrenting experience a user can have. But if your financial analyst doesn’t exactly approve of you spending money on a VPN, is it still safe and secure to use a seedbox without one?
Theoretically, you would be safe using a seedbox even without a VPN. The user should use Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) and avoid downloading files through their browser. However, legal trouble can knock at your door if you download or seed the content from the organization that bears the copyright claims.
Benefits of Using a Seedbox
A seedbox affords the following benefits:
- No one will be able to track your IP address. Instead, they will see the seedbox’s IP address.
- Incredible downloading speeds ranging from 1GB/s to 10GB/s depending on the service provider.
- Swift seeding and downloading speeds to maintain the required ratios by private torrent trackers.
- Plex Media Server integration allows you to stream content from the seedbox’s server to any device.
- Advanced services that offer Secure File Transfer Protocol, enhancing security and allowing faster downloading.
Benefits of Using a VPN
A virtual private network offers several advantages:
- Traffic is routed outside of your Internet Service Provider’s network via an encrypted tunnel.
- Anyone monitoring your activity will see only the IP address of the VPN server, securing your real IP address.
- Significant security features such as DNS leak protection, kill switch, and server locations.
- The option to select VPNs of your desired country.
- Best VPN providers place no restrictions on traffic sources.
- The ability to go beyond torrenting, as you can also bypass geo-blocking. This is quite handy for digital purchases, streaming services, and online gaming.
- There are numerous trusted and affordable VPN services.
Was this helpful?
0 / 0