If you are a newbie then check out this amazing Guide on Virtual Machine Hosting
As we all know that VPS replicates dedicated server resources within a shared hosting environment. In VPS hosting, you can run multiple operating systems on a single dedicated server. For example – you can install and run Windows 10 & Linux OSs’ at the same time. With VPS, you can do major operations like restarting VPS. It won’t affect other users because you are the root user of the VPS.
VPS directly offers you the benefits of a dedicated server at a very exceptional price. It’s a great option for users who are just starting their own business. If users need more speed for faster web page loading, VPS hosting is your answer.
Other advantage includes, you’ve full control over the server and you can install applications that require restart without affecting others. You’ve all dedicated resources like – RAM, advanced security features, monitoring, and backups. In simple words, VPS is one of the most reliable and secure web hosting platforms available on the web. Before choosing any VPS, you need to understand some of its following specifications: –
VPS offers many advantages but we will only focus on key points to choose the best and secure VPS hosting.
Choosing a hosting plan entirely depends upon your requirement
- Control Panel – You can maintain your own website easily. With VPS hosting, you’ve complete control over the operating system. You can install or configure anything you want.
- CPU and RAM – These two plays an important role because it shows your website performance. Choose RAM as per your website content and load. If you’re planning to publish an average website, you can go for minimal RAM. And if you’re planning to publish a heavy website that contains a lot of videos, you can go for higher RAM. Consider only those hosting services that offer better reliability in CPU and RAM.
- Reliability – VPS is more reliable than other hosting. Choose a company that offers quick restore and regular backup options. Reliability also depends upon good customer support service. Another key factor, you should look out for before choosing the best hosting plan.
Also check out: How Does Managed Web Hosting Work?
Apart from its advantages, how VPS hosting providers can help?
It’s up to the host to deploy a virtual machine and install an operating system (usually Linux, though some hosting providers offer Windows VPS options.) Your hosting provider will set up Nginx, Apache before sending login instructions and leaving you to it. You’ve to set up lots of things before using VPS. Your hosting provider might be willing to point you to the right resources. But there is some work that you’ve to do yourself. It involves:
Steps to Setup VPS
- Setting up VPS depends primarily on your operating system. For example, we’re using Linux. Most owners prefer Linux because it is open-source nature which makes it cost-effective and versatile.
- For accessing VPS, go to your computer and access the server via SSH. SSH lets you establish a connection to your VPS. With FTP, you can manage, edit files, and upload. However, to properly configure your VPS, you need SSH (Secure Socket Shell) – A network that lets you establish an encrypted connection to the server and execute commands.
Also checkout: QuickBooks Cloud Hosting
- SSH works solely through a command-line interface. To access the server via SSH for the first time requires root login credentials.
- To access the SSH server through the command-line interface, type “ssh [root username]@[server IP]”. The requested server will receive a request through port 22. Enter the username (usually it’s root), and ask for your password. As you’ll log in, it will display a “welcome message” in the command-line interface. Now, you’ve full access to your VPS. You can install execute any utility/ tool according to your requirement.
- For maintaining a stable performance, you’ve to update the server constantly. Not only stability but it also updates the security of the server. Update guarantees that all new security features and patches are installed. Different Linux distros use different package managers; commands vary from distro to distro: –
- In Debian-based distributions – apt-get update
- In CentOS and RHEL – yum check-update/ DNF check-update
- The update process may take a while. After the update makes sure to restart the server using the reboot command. By not updating to stable versions, you’re missing newly added features and functionalities. And you’re also leaving the server open to security vulnerabilities.
- After updating, you might need to create a new user. For creating a new user,
- Type adduser [new user’s name],
- Then type the password,
- Type usermod –aG [new user’s name]
- You might have root access and it also gives the privilege to do anything. But by making any small mistake could create dire consequences. So it’s generally considered a good idea to create a secondary account. You can configure a lot of things with the secondary account but you will need to do with every command. After configuring the above basic settings, you should change the default configuration. Generally, most scanning automation scripts target default ports and services. So always consider changing default ports. It’s a known fact that many users speak if your password is strong enough. Hackers will have a tough time getting in.
- Never take any chance for the grant, it is best advisable to change the SSH default port. For changing the default listening port.
- These are some basic commands that are used in setting up VPS. Many other commands are very essential. We will be covering all those in upcoming blogs and articles.
Hence, internet technologies are constantly improving. And more businesses are utilizing the power of the internet to increase their online revenues. So for businesses, it has become a necessity to opt for a virtual private server. While there are other hosting plans available. Such as shared hosting plans but such plans can negatively affect your website functioning. Using a VPS allows more scalability and flexibility as you expand your business. In addition, VPS is low-cost as compared to dedicated hosting and provides all the dedicated resources.
Hope you like the Guide. If yes then like comment and share asap. Or send us your feedback through email.
Was this helpful?
1 / 0